The Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology and Volcanology division of the European Geosciences Union is looking for a new Early Career Scientist representative (ECS rep)!
The outgoing rep (Giulia Consuma) will be standing down officially at the EGU General Assembly 2023, so this is your opportunity to take this role!
Why become an early career scientist representative?
Being the ECS rep for an EGU division is a great experience. You have opportunities to interact with scientists from all over the world, including those outside your own scientific discipline. It is great for networking and looks pretty good on your CV too.
EGU has 22 scientific divisions, of which GMPV is one. Every division has a president (ours is Professor Marian Holness, soon to be replaced by the current deputy president Professor Holly Stain), a team of scientific officers (who guide the organization of the GMPV scientific program, especially at the General Assembly) and an early career scientist committee.
GMPV has a wonderful ECS committee, and it is very rewarding to work with this amazing and enthusiastic team! The ECS committee (there are currently 17 of us) is responsible for the following GMPV activities:
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, soon LinkedIn)
- Blog with regular features
- EGU Campfires (mostly addressed to early career researchers)
- General assembly events, including both social and scientific events, e.g., short courses on career pathways for GMPV members
And there is always scope to expand on these activities with any new ideas the committee has!
Furthermore, the GMPV ECS rep meets with the other ECS reps from other divisions, and the overall union ECS reps once every few months to discuss how we can best support the interests of ECS members of the EGU community. Once/Twice per year, they will also gather in person in a European country to discuss the organization of the upcoming General Assembly.
- how best to support the mental and physical wellbeing of ECS members (e.g., supporting ECS with young families)
- proposing webinars, short courses and great debates
- making sure that ECS views are heard at the highest levels within EGU by making proposals to council
- and much more! You can find out more about the goals of EGU’s ECS community here.
Deadline for applications
Please apply here! The deadline for applications is Tuesday 21 February at 17:00 CET.
Applications will be discussed and assessed by the current ECS rep and GMPV’s president. We will do our best to announce the outcome by the beginning of March.
If you are not successful, we’d still love to have you on the committee, so please let us know on the form if you would be interested in participating.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.