To support this mission, a network of professionals is being established, aiming to promote GfGD’s vision and objectives, facilitate knowledge sharing and catalyse discussion around geoscience-for-development themes, and support geoscientists in the network to help deliver the SDGs. This group will ensure stronger connections between GfGD and professionals from the public and private sector, research and NGOs, whilst providing additional support to those currently involved in GfGD (predominantly university students).
Professional geoscientists are often placed in a unique position at the interface between government, society and industry. The collective experience, knowledge and insights of professionals has huge potential to make a real and constructive contribution to sustainable development. Furthermore, their engagement can help to inspire and equip early career geoscientists to contribute to sustainable development objectives.
Examples of the types of activity that we would like the GfGD Network of Professionals to partake in, include:
- Empowering early career geoscientists, mentoring them through the first phases of their career, encouraging knowledge sharing and ideas generation;
- Communication between GfGD university groups and those employed in different sectors, demonstrating and promoting the positive contributions to sustainable development that can be made throughout diverse geoscience careers;
- Offering presentations to colleagues, universities and local groups to both promote the work of GfGD and to share stories of geoscientists contributing to sustainable development;
- Contributing to GfGD international projects, by liaising with partner organisations and project stakeholders, offering a professional perspective;
- Supporting the work of GfGD through engaging in fundraising;
- Contributing professional experiences to the GfGD blog, newsletters, conferences and workshops to reach a wider audience; and
- Distributing relevant conferences, talks, training opportunities, jobs and other opportunities to the wider GfGD network.
Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Notice.