The Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology and Volcanology division of the European Geosciences Union is looking for a new Early Career Scientist representative! The current rep will stand down at the General Assembly in 2021, but we’d like some handover time between reps so we’re advertising now with the aim of the incoming rep starting in ~November 2020. They’ll officially be the ‘deputy ECS rep’ until the 2021 General Assembly.
Being the ECS rep for an EGU division is a great experience. You have opportunities to interact with scientists from all over the world, including those outside your own scientific discipline! It is great for networking and looks pretty good on your CV too. GMPV has a wonderful ECS committee and it is very rewarding to work with this amazing and enthusiastic team!
EGU has 22 scientific divisions, of which GMPV is one. Every division has a president (ours is Professor Marian Holness, University of Cambridge), a team of scientific officers (who guide the organisation of the GMPV scientific program, especially at the General Assembly) and an early career scientist committee.
The ECS committee (there are currently 12 of us) is responsible of the following GMPV activities:
– general assembly events, including both social and scientific events, e.g. short courses on career pathways for GMPV members
– other events outside of the general assembly, e.g. online activities, such as ECS talks.
And there is always scope to expand on these activities with any new ideas the committee has!
As well as this the GMPV ECS rep/coordinator meets with the other ECS reps from other divisions, and the overall union ECS reps once every few months to discuss how we can best support the interests of ECS members of the EGU community. This includes:
– how best to support the mental and physical wellbeing of ECS members (e.g. supporting ECS with young families)
– proposing webinars, short courses and great debates
– making sure that ECS views are heard at the highest levels within EGU by making proposals to council
– and much more! You can find out more about the goals of EGU’s ECS community here.
Applications will be discussed and assessed by the current ECS rep and GMPV’s president.
The deadline for applications is Friday 30 October at 17:00 CEST.
Please apply here! If you are not successful we’d still love to have you on the committee so please let us know on the form if you would be interested in participating.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, please contact us at email@example.com.